Reventure, with an innovative approach on nonlinear mechanics and loads of humor is set to leave Early Access on June 4th after one year of polishing and periodic updates. The game will be available on Steam for $5.99.
Reventure could be described as a “choose your own adventure” book in the shape of a 2D platformer.
It starts out from the classic monomyth premise: “You are a hero, the princess is in danger, go rescue her!” but it quickly gets more complicated than that – until it completely diverges into something completely non-standard.
The gameplay takes place in short-lived runs. You start with a clear goal in mind, but the game throws at you some button, trap, treasure or enemy that will make you deviate from your path into a completely new situation. You’ll also discover something new on the process and end up your story with a feeling of “What if I had done THAT instead?”.
That feeling will drive your next goal, closing the loop over and over and wrapping up a surprisingly addictive loop.
On the first runs, the game is all about exploration. When you start knowing your whereabouts, it smoothly transitions into a completionist experience, where you want to achieve every possible ending. As you approach the late game it transforms once again, this time into a puzzle platformer where you have to carefully plan your journey in order to discover the more exotic endings.
- Reventure will leave Early Access with 100% positive reviews from more than 100 reviewers.
- It features a dynamic story system in a “groundhog day” fashion, but with persistent effects.
- A Twitch integration enables users on a streamer’s chat to take control of the hero’s dialogs.
- The world stays almost the same, being the player the one that changes after every run.
- If a character dies, it is for good. A new character will take over and the story will progress.
- The original sound track (available here) features more than 15 original themes.
- Under that innocent, pixelated, look hides an indie beast with more than 10 hours of content.