Swap between Emma and Fenton, an adorable teddy bear, in a fast-paced investigation across visually stunning dimensions
Developer Monochrome and publisher Hatinh Interactive have announced that dreamlike puzzle platformer with action and adventure elements, Tandem: A Tale of Shadows, will launch for PC, Switch, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One later this year. Tandem: A Tale of Shadows offers a unique dual gameplay experience with outstanding aesthetics and visuals.
Thomas, the only son of the Kanes, a famous magician couple from the late 19th century in London, has disappeared. Emma, a stubborn young fan of their shows, is convinced that she must find him and decides to investigate. On her way to the Kanes’ manor, she mysteriously meets Fenton, Thomas’s teddy bear, endowed with magical powers. Together, they set out to find Thomas and will have to team up to face any obstacles they encounter. Tandem: A Tale of Shadows was recently introduced during the MIX Game Dev Direct showcase featuring the very first gameplay trailer below which provided the commented gameplay video of the game.
In Tandem: A Tale of Shadows, puzzle platformer fans and experts alike will face dozens of puzzles across five beautiful Victorian-inspired worlds. Players will alternate between Emma’s top-down view and Fenton’s horizontal side-scroller view, oftentimes using the former’s lantern to cast shadows the teddy bear can cross. Clever and innovative gameplay mechanics will be introduced as the duo travels from one universe to the next.
As Emma and Fenton master intelligent obstacles, confront menacing mechanical toys, and uncover clues about Thomas’ disappearance, players will learn more about the relationship between the girl and Thomas’ teddy bear Fenton and find out more about Thomas’ disappearance.
“With Tandem, our ambition is to evolve the puzzle-platformer genre through immersive storytelling, jaw-dropping production values, and thought-provoking gameplay,”JB Grasset, CEO, and co-founder at Monochrome Paris.
“We can’t wait to captivate players later this year with the imaginative, mysterious universe we’ve carefully created.” “ Not only we are continuously impressed by Tandem’s game art and aesthetics but we also strongly believe in the uniqueness of its dual gameplay,”Philippe DAO, CEO and co-founder of Hatinh Interactive.
Tandem: A Tale of Shadows Key Features
- Stunning Art Direction
- Discover a playful and frightening universe inspired by Jules Verne, Conan Doyle, Tim Burton, and Victorian-era architecture. Each dimension in Tandem feels like a German expressionist or Dutch golden age art piece brought to life.
- Clever Puzzles
- Solve 45 puzzles and obstacles in order to unravel the mystery surrounding Thomas Kane’s disappearance. Overcome vicious spiders and creepy clowns, etc
- Dual Gameplay
- Swap perspectives between Emma and Fenton. Light up the scene and cast shadows as Emma from a top-down view. Walk on shadows projected by Emma’s lantern from Fenton’s side-scroller view.
- Fight With Strategy
- Players will face mechanical toy-like enemies and bosses throughout each dimension. Since Emma cannot attack, fans must rely on their wit to move forward.
- Narrative-Driven Adventure
- Gather clues hidden in the game’s worlds to learn more about Emma, Fenton the teddy bear, and Thomas’s disappearance.
- Diverse Mechanics
- Push or pull objects to create shadows. Use alarms and traps to your advantage. Tandem features a variety of interactive elements to keep players on their toes.
Tandem: A Tale of Shadows will launch for PC, Switch, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One later this year.