After a very successful test weekend, Century: Age of Ashes developers have announced the dates for their second, much larger and longer, closed beta. This next closed beta, running March 12-21, has been updated using community feedback and includes new matchmaking and game modes, improved controls, and a free flight system to allow new players to practice against the computer.
Player progress from the first closed beta has been reset, but all experience, earned currency, and unlockables gained during the second closed beta will carry on to Early Access. The team has also shared that the game’s cosmetic store will be open during the closed beta for players to spend their earned currency. Options to use real world currency will not be available during this period.
Playwing has also announced that the Century: Age of Ashes Early Access launch has been pushed back to the first week of April to allow the team to focus on game quality.
“The first closed beta was amazing. We saw so many players have fun and leave the weekend hungry for more dragon-riding combat. We’ve been given a massive amount of feedback through Discord and social media about ways to improve the game. I think the community will really appreciate everything we’ve done to improve the game since the last closed beta. We’re a small team and we want Century to launch in Early Access in the best state possible. We appreciate everyone’s patience and can’t wait to see you in the skies.”Pascal Barret, Playwing Bordeaux Art Director and Studio Manager.
The Century: Age of Ashes second closed beta will launch with the following changes and improvements:
Matchmaking & Game modes
- Adding a MMR system to the queue to improve match balance and put same level players into the same games
- ROOKIE mode will be only accessible until level 10
- Adding a SKIRMISH mode: a best of 5, 3v3 game mode, that will replace the ROOKIE mode for level 10 players and above. All the controls will be available at the start of the first round.
- A FREE FLIGHT mode will be available. You’ll be able to familiarize yourself with the Dragon’s controls and play against an enemy bot.
Gates of Fire
- Changing the number of rounds to a best of 3 + an extra 4th round in case of a draw, in order to avoid the xp draw exploit
- Reviewing the sound design in order to make the game mode more epic
- Improved the balancing by adding more spawn placements for the flag
- General UI/FX improvements to make the objectives clearer
- Adding a penalty system for players who leave rounds early
- The shop will be open! You’ll be able to spend your earned currencies, but won’t be able to pay with real money
- Leaderboard will be available
- Global ping improvement
- Improved Mouse / Keyboard controls
- General sound design improvements to improve the sensation when players hit an enemy
- The progression system has been rebalanced. We want the level up system to feel more of an accomplishment