Visual novel fans rejoice, fantasy epic and unabashedly furry adventure game, Winds of Change, has officially released its entire first act for free on Steam ahead of its September 24th launch out of Early Access. Blending elements of open-world RPGs, point-and-click adventures, and visual novels, Winds of Change feels truly unique as it draws upon the narrative structure VN fans have come to love, while offering up a world of player choice and a fully voice-acted story.
Even better, anyone who plays through the free Winds of Change – The Opening Act, will be able to carry their progress and choices through to the full game. But you probably want to know why you should be interested, right? We’ve got you covered! Marvel upon a breakdown of five ways Winds of Change defies genre expectations and will change the way you look at visual novels:
- Open world with a non-linear narrative: Players are empowered to choose where they travel and who they talk with as they adventure across Alestia, expanding upon visual novel narrative stylings with a living, breathing fantasy world that encourages exploration.
- Phase into parallel stories: You’re not the only one inhabiting the land of Alestia. Using your powerful seer abilities, transport yourself into the bodies of others in order to get a glimpse of stories unfolding all over the world.
- Unleash your inner romantic: Whether you’re interested in friendship or something more, Winds of Change approaches relationships with fluidity, offering players the option of polyamory and allowing relationships to develop naturally, feeling less like a binary gameplay system.
- Fully-voiced narrative: Tapping into a stellar cast featuring talent from The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Persona 5, Mob Psycho 100, and Danganronpa, get to know the inhabitants of Alestia with full voice support (at full launch), brought together by a development team of one.
- Embark on side quests: Filling the open world, players can take on a wealth of side quests which not only serve to expand on the world’s lore, but also flesh out the many characters players will meet and travel with.
Winds of Change is available now on Steam Early Access (Windows, Mac, Linux), with a full launch slated for September 24, 2019. Interested in trying a sampler? Download Winds of Change – The Opening Act for free today! For the latest updates on all things Winds of Change, follow the game on Twitter and Discord, and add it to your Steam wishlist.