Funcom will this week be releasing the sixth DLC for Conan Exiles, the studio’s bestselling title of all time. The DLC is named after The Riddle of Steel, central to the plot of the 1982 movie featuring Arnold Schwarzenegger as Conan the Barbarian, and is part of the game’s one-year anniversary, which is also celebrated with a free update (containing two brand new dungeons) and a prolonged Steam Free Weekend (May 8th – May 12th ).
“We thought we’d do something a little different for the anniversary. Although the game is based upon the world created by Robert E. Howard during the 1930s and the subsequent comics, the movies enjoy a huge cult following. Many of the Conan-fans today would probably never have heard of Howard’s work if it weren’t for Schwarzenegger’s breakthrough role as Conan the Barbarian. We therefore thought it would be a good idea to combine the anniversary of our bestselling game with a homage to Schwarzenegger, Thulsa Doom-actor James Earl Jones, and their like,”Funcom CEO Rui Casais.
Casais adds that a lot has happened to the game, which he likes to label as “Minecraft for adults”, since it was launched on May 8th last year. A total of five DLCs have been released, even before The Riddle of Steel, as well as a host of updates, bug-fixes, and the like.
“This makes me all the more pleased to announce the Steam Free Weekend, so that everyone can see what the game has evolved into for free,”
Adding that the Steam Free Weekend is in fact nearly a week long, as it will start today.
The new DLC will contain several unique statues and figurines of Arnold Schwarzenegger as Conan, as well as iconic helmets from the movie, commemorative warpaint, and other decorative items. The Riddle of Steel is not part of the four core DLCs Funcom has planned for 2019 and will therefore not be included in the Year 2 Season Pass. Instead the studio has simultaneously released a free update, which includes two new dungeons, a total revamp of several locations, new NPCs, and a new feat, “Witch Doctor”, allowing you to summon wights and skeletons to your side.
The Riddle of Steel will be available for PC for $ 6.99 (other regional prices may apply) later this week, and will follow on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 shortly after. The Steam Free Weekend starts today at 7 pm CET (11am PST/2:00pm EST).
The Riddle of Steel
- 18 Statues and figurines of Arnold Schwarzenegger as Conan.
- 5 iconic helmets from the movie, of characters such as Thulsa Doom and Rexor.
- 5 unique placeables from the movie, such as King Conan’s Lion Throne.
- 6 statues and figurines of Valeria from the movie Conan the Barbarian.
- 6 statues and figurines of Subotai the Hyrkanian archer.
- 3 decorative warpaints from the movie.
Anniversary-update (free update)
- New dungeon: The Sunken City.
- New dungeon: Sepermeru Silver Mine.
- New feat: Witch Doctor, allowing you to summon undeads.
- Total revamp of several locations, with new enemies and additional bosses.
- New items, both lootable and craftable.
- Tons of UI fixes and balance passes.