Bohemia Interactive recently debuted a brutal and powerful live action trailer to announce the worldwide launch of open world survival game DayZ on the PlayStation 4. Following the game’s release on both PC and Xbox One, PS4 players will now get to experience the game that established the Survival genre as they join a tense battle for their very lives in the bleak post-apocalyptic wasteland of Chernarus.
DayZ can be purchased digitally from the PlayStation Store for $49.99 USD, and is also available for Steam and Xbox One. The console versions of DayZ will see a physical release distributed by Sold Out Games, available in stores later this year.
“We’re so excited to be bringing the PS4 and Xbox One versions of DayZ to physical retail following its phenomenal success digitally,” said Garry Williams CEO Sold Out. “Survival games don’t get much more intense than this.”
Rising to popularity as an Arma 2 mod, DayZ originally launched as a standalone game in Steam Early Access in December 2013. Since then, the game has gone through a major engine overhaul. Now powered by modules of Bohemia’s newEnfusion Engine, practicallyevery part of the game has been completely redeveloped and improved.
DayZ is an unforgiving, authentic survival experience. Up to 60 survivors on a server engage in a completely unscripted gameplay scenario with no goals given, except for one: to survive as long as they can, by all means necessary. There are no superficial tips, waypoints, built-in tutorials, or help given to players. Every decision matters, and every mistake can be lethal. If a players fails they lose all character progress and must start over, as the game features a permadeath concept.
With an open focus on the world itself, players are free to attempt to overcome the dangers of the world by working alone or banding together. Thanks to the comprehensive suite of survival mechanics, persistent servers, and a massive 230km map, all sorts of organic experiences can arise, giving each player their own story. This is not Battle Royale. This is DayZ.
Bohemia Interactive is continuing with post-launch development across all platforms, further expanding upon the content available in DayZ and delving deeper into its existing gameplay concepts. These improvements are scheduled to drop in updates throughout 2019.
- Detailed, authentic backdrop of Chernarus, an open world terrain featuring 230 square kilometers of hand-crafted environment based on real life locations
- Real emotional experience driven by the emergent interactions of 60 players on the server, all fighting for survival by any means necessary
- Environmental dangers including the infected, dynamic weather, and animal predators
- Wide variety of complex survival mechanics – from hunting and crafting, through sophisticated injury simulation, to transferable diseases
- Persistent servers with complex loot economy, and the ability to build improvised bases
- Visceral, authentic gun play and melee combat systems
- Smooth and reactive character controller utilizing a detailed animation system
- Rewarding and authentic experience of driving vehicles for travel and material transport