Publisher Cronos Interactive and developer Mantis Games have released the second video in a series of behind-the-scenes looks at Journey For Elysium. This video, titled “Mechanics”, takes a look at the process behind integrating technical features and design elements including motion control gameplay as well as levels into the game. These are the moment-to-moment challenges that programmers and designers face while crafting the player’s experience.
A companion article has been published alongside the video on the Mantis Games website. This blog post is about the development of the mechanics for Journey For Elysium, from the first prototype to the final version of the game.
Journey For Elysium is a story-driven VR game inspired by ancient mythology. Players will take on the role of an unnamed hero who has passed away, travelling on a boat in the Underworld. In order to reach Elysium and obtain redemption, the mysterious traveller must use all his wits and skills in a series of increasingly elaborate twists and challenges. Along the way, he will discover more about his past.
Journey For Elysium Key features
- Puzzles: Journey for Elysium brings back the excitement of classic adventures games of the 90’s and revamps them for a new era. Solve an increasingly complex range of puzzles, challenges and tests to move the story forward.
- A lot to discover: immerse yourself in a rich world, grounded between history and myth. Explore breathtaking environments and unravel surprising facts of the Classical antiquity. Connect with your senses to this VR storytelling experience.
- Mechanics: travel on the river Styx and explore the underworld with the rowing mechanic, the most important traveling method in the game. This natural way of transportation is also very comfortable and immersive.
- Two modes: when you are not rowing, you can experience two different ways of moving around thanks to the Comfort or Immersive modes.
- Art style: enjoy the black and white art style inspired by the paintings of Gustave Doré. The high contrast art style fits best in recreating the desired atmosphere of the underworld. In addition, you will find golden highlights here and there, which will guide you further along the way.
Journey For Elysium will release in Q4 2019 and will be available onSteam for the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift VR systems.