4x strategy fans will look to the stars today as publisher Iceberg Interactive releases turn-based 4x strategy title ‘Stars in Shadow’ into Steam’s Early Access Program. Developed by Canadian outfit Ashdar Games, Stars in Shadow features unique comic style graphics, streamlined empire management, sophisticated turn-based tactical combat, and detailed world building. The current Early Access build is an advanced beta, ready to be shipped before the end of 2016, pending final polish and user feedback.
“Our goal is to make a game that really plays well, rather than one that is just a long list of features. 4X games benefit from intensive polish, and while we do still have more to do, I think EA players will be pleasantly surprised by how much depth is already there.” – Sven Olsen, lead developer of Ashdar Games
Stars in Shadow is now available in Steam’s Early Access program at $24.99 with a 20% discount during the week of launch on Steam. http://store.steampowered.com/app/464880.
- Epic Scope: Starting at the dawn of interstellar travel, progress through four eras of technological advancement. Discover the science of planetary terraforming, upgrade your infantry battalions to battle mechs, and grow your fleet from a squadron of destroyers to an armada of planet-destroying Dread Stars
- Varied Factions: 7 Playable factions comprising six alien races. Each faction has different research strengths and technology options. Forming alliances, conquering neighboring species, or discovering ancient artifacts may open up additional avenues of research. Choose your race wisely as it impacts which worlds will suit you, what trades or alliances may be offered, and whether or not your neighbors are inclined to trust you
- Stylized Setting: A distinctive comic-book art style and an original, detailed universe backstory draw you into an immersive game world. Interact with a unique cast of alien characters, make friends and influence people, or crush your enemies and see them driven before you
- Focused High-Level Strategy: Build a vast and varied empire, taking advantage of the unique traits offered by different alien populations and the worlds they inhabit. A streamlined resource and planetary improvement model keeps the game moving even when your empire grows large
- Deep Turn-Based Tactical Combat: Face off against your opponents in complex 2D turn-based tactical battles. Counter your enemy’s missile barrage using point defense or interceptors, then close to energy weapon range! Stars in Shadow’s tactical engine includes several features rarely seen in turn based games. Multi-ship commands keep even large fleet battles fast-paced, and smart unit behaviors allow tight control with minimal micromanagement. Auto-resolve battles that are a foregone conclusion, while retaining the ability to replay any engagement to see exactly what happened