tinyBuild Games has just launched 8 new Youtube celebrity-based characters in SpeedRunners, as part of a campaign to raise money for cancer research. Over the next month, players will decide which of two teams wins, and tinyBuild Games will donate the revenue from the winning team’s DLC to cancer research.
What is King of Speed?
King of Speed is an in-game tournament between the characters of SpeedRunners. The first one was held in December 2013 and featured an ARG, the culmination of which revealed Game Modifiers.
In the first King of Speed, we counted wins of individual characters for a month, and in the end Cosmo was crowned as King Cosmo and wore a crown for a month in-game.
This time The Falcon faces off with SpeedRunner in an ultimate showdown of Speed and Running. And they are backed up by teams of Youtubers to help! We will count the cumulative number of wins per team.
Do I need to buy the DLC to participate?
No, you can support your team by playing as either The Falcon or SpeedRunner.
How long will the King of Speed 2 run?
It will run for a month starting from October 20th (Monday), ending on November 20th (Thursday).
Which charity are you donating money to?
This is something we’re figuring out with the help of experienced parties like Humble Bundle. We will announce the charity and total amount raised at the end of King of Speed.
What’s the DLC price?
$2.99 per pack of 4, so less than $1 per character
Why cancer research?
Personal statement from Alex Nichiporchik (CEO @tinyBuild):
Screw cancer. It took the lives of countless people in my family, and almost took mine. I believe with the popularity of SpeedRunners we can make a difference to advance its research. Life is short, so let’s do something impactful while we can.
In a city filled with superheroes, getting to crimes becomes a competition on its own. Fortunately there are enough rockets, bombs, grappling hooks, spikes, and other goodies lying around — to make the competition fun and fast. Welcome to SpeedRunners.
SpeedRunners is probably the most competitive game you’ll play in a while. It has a very short learning curve (hold RIGHT to run), and a very deep set of mechanics that enable for great, nerve-wrecking moments.
- Best played with an Xbox 360 Controller (keyboards supported)
- Goal is to run off-screen, leaving your enemies behind
- Single screen gaming, so the person infront has a disadvantage of not seeing what’s coming ahead
- Interactive environments with traps
- Power ups and weapon pick ups
- A full league system – level up with points
Local and Online Multiplayer
- Keep up with the fastest player in-game, or fall offscreen and get eliminated!
- Use weapons like missiles, mines and grappling hooks to screw over your friends, and make new enemies!
- Can you have 2 players on a couch against 2 other players on the internet? Yes of course!
- Bots enabled – play on your own with several AI opponents. Or put them into matches with other people!
- 9 Unique Maps + thousands of User Created Levels in Steam Workshop
Single Player Features
- A Single Player Campaign (based on the original SpeedRunner game)
- Find out the origins of SpeedRunner
- 30 Unique Time Trials-based Levels
- Hunt for medals and high scores
- Practice with bots
Steam Early Access
SpeedRunners is still in heavy development, which is why we went for Steam Early Access. We are adding and testing a lot of features, so the current state of the game is far from final.
About the Developers
SpeedRunners is originally developed by DoubleDutch Games and published/co-developed by tinyBuild GAMES.
Indies publishing other indies? What?
Originally developed by DoubleDutch Games and called “SpeedRunner HD”, the game released on Xbox Live Indie Games some time ago, with local multiplayer. The two indie studios decided to partner up and co-develop the game, where DoubleDutch handle all the core game design and code, while tinyBuild handles all visual/art and marketing aspects of the game.