*Update – Available Now* Cyberpunk side-scrolling RPG ‘Dex’ dated for Xbox One & PlayStation 4 on July 8th
Are you a fan of cyberpunk novels and movies? Then you’re in for a treat: Czech dev Dreadlocks has partnered with indie publisher BadLand Games to release the cyberpunk 2D side-scrolling RPG ‘Dex’ on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on July 8th!
The game tells the story of an AI, Dex, and her quest for the Singularity — a theoretical “event horizon” in which artificial intelligence will surpass human intelligence.
Chased by corporate mercs (without knowing why), Dex gets thrown into a web of intrigue — leading her to question the origins of her own existence. We’re introduced to a trio of hacktivists interested in helping Dex in her quest: the mysterious Raycast, the protective Decker, and the light-minded Tony. Only *you* get to decide how the story ends.
The World of DEX
The outskirts of the city are plagued by crime, poverty and filth. Out there, every day presents a new struggle for survival. The wealthier districts are full of skyscrapers and bustling businesses. Yet beneath the sleek exterior, another war is going on — with powerful corporations constantly at each other’s throats. Woe to those who get caught in the crossfire.
- Rare mix of realism and creative vision: Realistic action, mature storyline, and complex character interactions mixed with hand-drawn characters, animations, locations, arcade-style melee combat, and an original conception of cyberspace.
- Multiple solutions to problems: Operate in cyberspace or everyday reality. Overcome obstacles using skills, weapons, or special equipment.
- Meaningful character progression choices: Will you be a silent assassin, a hacker, or a straightforward gunfighter? Improve your character and gear to unlock game-changing upgrades that reinforce and customize your play style.
- Unique hacking mechanic: Transfer your consciousness to your avatar, overcome intrusion countermeasures, take action, and return back to your body in a fraction of a second to see the results: deactivated turrets, overloaded devices, enemies with crippled implants…
- Neo-cyberpunk: Inspired by the cyberpunk novels of William Gibson and other classical cyberpunk authors — flavored with a contemporary concept of augmented reality.
- Rich game world and mindful level design: Visit diverse locations in Harbor Prime, a futuristic city complete with luxurious skyscrapers, rundown shanty towns, and seedy red light districts. Take part in street brawls, steal corporate data, overcome environmental hazards, and (of course!) try to stay alive.
- Full voice acting: Interactive dialogue using hand-drawn sprite animations — fully voice-acted by professional voiceover artists.
Dex will be available on both Xbox One and PlayStation 4 on July 8th. There will also be a physical release on PlayStation 4 in select territories. PlayStation Vita and Wii U versions are expected later this year. The game is already available on Steam, where it can be purchased for $19.99: http://store.steampowered.com/app/269650/
Dreadlocks Ltd is an independent creative team situated in Prague, Czech Republic. The studio was founded in 2011 as a collective of seasoned game industry professionals from various Czech companies. To learn more, please visit http://en.dreadlocks.cz/
About BadLand Games
BadLand Games is an international publishing company that firmly believes in the need to support emerging talent. We are passionate gamers on a mission to find the diamonds in the rough. Working alongside talented developers, we bring captivating, outstanding games to the masses. We’re always on the lookout for enthusiastic and dedicated developers with all sorts of games, from beat ‘em ups and RPGs to puzzle games — and everything in between. To learn more about BadLand Games, please visit http://badlandgames.com