Avernum 2 Previews Now Available
In 1996 Spiderweb Software launched one of the largest independent RPGs ever made: Exile 2: Crystal Souls.It was, in fact, the first RPG I ever played on a computer.
Now this epic returns as Avernum 2: Crystal Souls. http://www.avernum.com/avernum2/index.html
Watch the trailer:
The story begins soon after the end of the first game, where the imprisoned people of the underground world rose up against the empire and assassinated its lord. The overworld was not to be denied its vengeance for this act, and has begun an allout war against the underworld of Avernum. Now the armies of the empire are at their peak, the underworld is in retreat, and it will take a truely alien source of power to tip the tide back in favor of those exiled to the underworld. It just so happens you’ll be on a quest for just that.
Avernum 2: Crystal Souls features:
- Epic fantasy adventure with over 40 hours of gameplay.
- An enormous underworld, with multiple nations and alien cultures.
- Over 100 towns and dungeons.
- Three separate game-winning quests. There are many ways to fight the invaders. Do just one of them or all three!
- Unique races and settings make Avernum different from any adventure out there.
- Dozens of side quests and hundreds of magical artifacts.
- Rich game system with over 60 spells and battle disciplines and a multitude of beneficial character traits to choose from.
The story of Avernum 2 is self-contained, and previous experience with Avernum games isn’t required. Basically Avernum 2 is a traditional CRPG with massive emphasis on a compelling story and a gigantic world full of life. Over 100 towns, over 60 spells, over 40 hours of main story quests. While the cosmetic improvements are readily apparent over the original Exile (http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/exile2/exile2_shot.html) the game features an abundance of improved mechanics as well. As with the original there are 3 possible ways to complete the game with different endings. Exile 2 was so far ahead of its time you’ll be amazed at how modern it really is, even after 18 years.